Annual Multi-Trip travel insurance – How to save money and reap the benefits!
Dependent on the policy and the type of trips you take, Annual multi-trip travel insurance may be a suitable product for you, even if you only take two holidays a year.
Annual multi-trip travel insurance does exactly what it says, covers you for a year and allows multiple trips throughout that year. This sort of cover however is not to be confused with Longstay or Backpacker travel insurance, which is aimed at people taking one long trip throughout a year or more.
Annual multi-trip policies usually have a limit on the number of days you can be a way in any one trip, but no limit on the number of trips during the year. Most will range from 15 days per trip, up to 45 days per trip, although some policies exist that will allow 90 days and 180 days in any one trip.
Most annual multi-trip travel insurance policies will also have the option of adding a number of days winter-sports cover throughout the year, some travel insurance policies include this within the price.
Nearly all the policies on the market at the moment offer some kind of discount for couples and families, which really can have an impact on the savings made.
Who does it suit
The easy answer is everyone that takes two or more trips a year. Whether these are two week sun holidays, weekly city trips, visits to holiday homes abroad or mixtures of sun holiday and a winter holiday each year. The only difference between these are the amount of saving you might be making each and every year.
What are the benefits
For most people the benefits of buying and annual multi-trip travel insurance over buying multiple single trip travel insurance are:
- Only one search a year for the cheapest and most suited annual multi-trip travel insurance policy. That surely beats multiple internet searching and call centre questions two or three times a year!
- Considerable savings as compared to multiple single trip travel insurance policies
- Peace of mind that you are covered for a whole years travel
- Cancellation cover for all future trips booked during the life of the policy as soon as they are booked.
Things to consider to maximise savings
Things to consider, to assist in saving money on annual multi-trip travel insurance;
- Do you plan to travel within Europe only in the next twelve months? If this is likely, buying just a European policy will be considerably cheaper than a worldwide policy. If you are not sure, start with a European policy, you should be able to upgrade during the life of the policy.
- How many days cover do you need for the year, and what is the maximum length of each trip? The cost of a policy with higher duration limits on each individual trip will be considerably more. If you are not sure, start low and upgrade later.
- Do you need independent travel cover for all members of the family or just the adults? Policies which offer independent travel cover for all members of the family will be more expensive.
- Are you likely to need winter-sports cover during the year? Some policies will include this “free of charge”, however often policies that do not include it will be cheaper than those that do, regardless of the marketing spiel that accompanies..
Most good travel insurance companies will highlight the potential savings of Annual Multi-trip travel insurance. Some of the better ones will even work with you to calculate if indeed an Annual multi-trip travel insurance policies is suitable and what savings you might make.
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.