How to Keep the Kids Entertained this Half Term
Half term can loom over some parents like a terrible storm; bored children, stressed adults and mess all make for a hectic week.
Half term can also prove extremely expensive, when you add up the costs of extra food, petrol, babysitters and attraction entry fees.
Below, we have compiled a list of the top half term ‘things to do’, to keep the kids amused without breaking the bank;
- Build knowledge in a fun way – even though the kids aren’t at school, that doesn’t mean they can’t continue to learn during the week. Many museums are still free to visit, for example the London Science Museum (http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/) and British Museum (http://www.britishmuseum.org/). There are also historical sites all over the UK which are fun to visit, and vary in cost.
- Keep active to reduce boredom – this could be a great chance to get fit and spend some quality time with your children. Cycling, ice skating and swimming are all great past times, or you could even just take the dog for a walk in a new location; taking young children for a ‘fairy hunt’ in woodland is always a popular choice.
- Make it a holiday – half term is the perfect time to escape with the family somewhere nice, whether you head to Cornwall or Spain. (Don’t forget to invest in travel insurance even for short breaks, look for insurers like Holidaysafe.co.uk who offer free cover for children under their family policies.)
- Create projects they will really enjoy – baking, story writing, games and gardening are all inexpensive ways to keep the children amused. They could set up a cake stand, enter a story writing competition for their age group, create their own board games, or create a herb garden or rockery in your back yard.
- Let the games begin – you could set up a little competition to keep the kids amused, try tennis, football, table tennis etc. If your child loves computer games, you could even indulge this passion a little, by competing against the other.
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.