Snake on a Plane…it has Actually Happened
Last week an aeroplane travelling from Egypt to Kuwait was forced to make an emergency landing after a Cobra got loose in the passenger cabin.
It seems like a ridiculous story, especially after the 2006 film ‘Snakes on a Plane’, staring Samuel L. Jackson, which depicted a long haul flight being overrun by hundreds of poisonous snakes.
However, in this scenario there was only one snake; an Egyptian Cobra, which had been smuggled abroad in hand luggage. The guilty passenger had concealed the snake to take it back to Kuwait, probably to sell in his reptile shop. The snake made his escape by biting his owner and then slithering away along the cabin aisle.
The Egyptian Cobra is a venomous snake; one bite can kill an adult in around fifteen minutes, by causing paralysis and respiratory failure. However, the bitten owner refused medical treatment.
The snake was captured and confiscated, and the plane resumed its journey.
This extreme and rare scenario just shows the importance of being prepared for the unexpected when travelling abroad. If you invest in travel insurance from Holidaysafe before you depart, we can protect you against unexpected delays, accidents and losses. Every Holidaysafe policy offers;
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.
- Cover for cancellation, medical emergencies, personal belongings, cash and much more.
- Multiple levels of cover allowing you to choose the best policy for your needs.
- UK, Europe and Worldwide options available.
- FREE cover for your kids, plus discounts for couples.
- Hundreds of activities covered as standard, with the option to extend your cover to include many more.
- Doctor managed emergency helpline 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
- A 14 day cooling off period.
- Plus we have been featured in multiple Which? Best Rate Tables in 2010, 2011 & 2012!