- Travel Insurance
- Why HolidaySafe?
- Tips & Advice
- Help Centre
- OTHER INSURANCES
My name is Catherine and I am an actress
I wanted to take a gap year, so I decided to work abroad so I could travel and have money to do it!
I went to La Rosiere in the French Alps.
I was a chalet maid, so my job entailed housekeeping, cooking and waitressing for the Chalet guests.
I was 18 or 19 at the time.
I booked everything through a specialist website, they planned everything for me.
I spent about 40% of my time working, and the other 60% we were allowed to do what we wanted. It worked really well for me because I had time to make friends, have fun and explore.
I learnt how to Ski and Snowboard during my trip, and I did both a lot, almost every day in fact.
The only problem I found was that the doctors were very expensive, even just for a checkup. During my trip I hurt my shoulder whilst skiing and didn’t do anything about it, because I was worried about the cost. This wasn’t the best idea and I would NOT recommend it, as I still have problems with it now.
The highlight of my trip was probably seeing the views waking up to white mountains and sunshine everyday, that was pretty cool. I also made some amazing friends for life.
I didn’t have any low points!
I would definitely recommend working abroad to everyone. I had the best time of my life, and it made me grow up a bit.
The one piece of advice I would give is to make the most of everyday, because it goes so much quicker than you would think.
I travelled solo, as did most of the people on the trip, and it worked out great because it forces you to make friends and helps build your confidence.
I would absolutely work abroad again, and in fact I definitely and plan to!Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.
To get a quote please choose one of the following policy types;