Guide to Day Trips
Day trips are a big part of what makes cruising so special, what could be better than floating over crystal clear seas and arriving at a range of different and beautiful locations.
However, it is extremely important that you follow these simple tips below, to avoid holiday disaster during a shore excursion;
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.
- Check the local laws and customs on our ‘Know Before You Go’ page before you travel, just to make sure you are prepared and do not offend anyone. For example, some conservative countries will be deeply offended if women are not covered up.
- Always stay with the group, if you do deviate make sure you plan where and when to reconvene.
- Make a list of important phone numbers, for example the ship, and the guide – just in case.
- Always photocopy your important travel documents and prescriptions before you travel, and keep them in a separate location to the originals, just in case they are damaged, lost or stolen.
- Always invest in quality travel insurance, make sure you have declared any pre-existing medical conditions before you travel.
- Always travel with an EHIC (if in Europe).
- Do not carry large amounts of cash around with you. Do not wear expensive jewellery; you will only draw negative attention to yourself.
- Carry your change in a small purse and your notes in a money belt under your clothes; this should avoid flashing your purse and cash too often. Plus, if you are mugged you can hand over the coin purse as opposed to all your cash.
- Try to avoid walking alone or in small groups at night or down small streets.
- Always keep your bag close to you, use a bag which zips up or locks, and use a strap that goes across your body as opposed to on your shoulder. This should prevent anyone stealing your bag or pickpocketing you.
- If you are travelling somewhere hot, make sure you wear a high factor of sun protection, drink plenty of fluids and take regular breaks in the shade.
- Just to be safe, drink bottled water.
- Remember that in most markets around the world, haggling is expected! Do not offer the first price that is offered to you, most merchants expect a bit of haggling. Ask your guide if unsure.