Annual World Travel Award Winners Announced
According to the World Travel Awards website, the annual event “serves to acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all sectors of the global travel and tourism industry” – and they aren’t lying, there are over 500 categories in the European awards alone!
The winners of each accolade are voted for by a jury of international hospitality experts, and this year the successful nominees were announced at a prestigious ceremony in Sardinia, Italy.
Portugal won a number of awards, including best European beach destination for the beautiful Algarve, best cruise port stop for atmospheric Lisbon and best island destination for Madeira. Interestingly, and despite all its other awards, Portugal was beaten for the top European destination award by St Petersburg in Russia.
Northern Ireland was awarded best tourist attraction for the Titanic Belfast, and Lyon beat classic favourite like Rome and Paris to be voted best European city break destination.
Further award winners can be seen below;
- Europe’s Best Hotel – Ciragan Palace Kempinski Istanbul, Turkey
- Europe’s Best New Hotel – The InterContinental London at The O2
- Europe’s Best Low Cost Airline – Norwegian
- Europe’s Leading Car Rental Company – Europcar
- Europe’s Leading Passenger Rail Operator – Eurostar
- Europe’s Leading Ferry Operator – DFDS Seaways
- Europe’s Leading Safari Tour Operator – Yellow Zebra Safaris
- Europe’s Leading Tour Operator – Thomas Cook
- Europe’s Leading Travel Agency – Carlson Wagonlit Travel
- Europe’s Leading Online Travel Agency – Booking.com
- Europe’s Responsible Tourism Award – Norwegian Cruise Line
If you’re planning a European adventure, don’t forget to purchase travel insurance cover for you and your trip before you depart. Visit Holidaysafe.co.uk for more information on award winning European travel insurance.
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.