Backpacking travel insurance
Every year students around the world get itchy feet, and their parents begin to dread the words they know are coming ‘I think I’ll take a gap year and go travelling’. It is absolutely natural for parents to worry, especially if this will be their child’s first real and longest time away from home.
In our modern times, these types of trips are extremely common and relatively safe, as long as backpackers use common sense and follow some simple rules…
1) Always check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s website before booking a trip, to ensure the destination you are planning to visit is safe.
2) Even if you set off alone for a solo trip, you will always make friends along the way. Try to stick in groups when travelling, and especially at night, just to ensure you aren’t caught in a difficult situation alone.
3) Contact home regularly – your Mum may be hundreds of miles away but she can still inflict wrath if you don’t let her know you are safe and well. If you plan to do this via a smart phone or tablet computer, make sure these are insured against damage or loss.
4) Research is always going to be key, and you should never travel anywhere naive. Look into visas, plane tickets, travel plans, accommodation, activities, safety concerns, currency, and tips and tricks from other travellers to ensure you have a disaster free trip.
5) Finally, to help give your family true piece of mind whilst you are away, remember to invest in quality backpacker travel insurance. Travel insurance will step in if your possessions are lost, stolen or damaged, if you have a medical emergency, if your cash is lost or stolen, if you need to come home early, plus much more.
Holidaysafe’s Backpacker travel insurance has been especially designed to give you and your family piece of mind. The policies provide a range of options with regards to cover and policy excess, so you can choose a policy and premium to suit your backpacking travel insurance needs. No matter which policy you choose, you can rest assured that it will provide emergency medical and (if required) repatriation.
The policies also automatically cover a wide range of activities that fearless youngsters might like to attempt.
So, as you tearfully wave farewell and bon voyage to your offspring , and they trot off down the path with their rucksack on their backs, you can rest assured that in the event of an emergency, they have the protection of Holidaysafe travel insurance to fall back on .
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.