End to End
The route, known as the UK’s End to End, taking you to Land’s End from John O’Groats is a massive test of endurance, but one for all you cycling enthusiasts out there.
The challenge, which is over 1,000 miles long, takes you from the very top of the Scottish Isle right down to the tip of the Cornish coast.
Also know as LEJOG or JOGLE, depending on which way you decide to take the route, this is our third instalment of our Bucket List series.
Many cycling groups offer various dates throughout the summer to take part, with options for regular routes or challenging, taking between 15-21 days. There is also an option to try it in 9 days, which is a very strenuous route and one for the most avid cyclists.
Bike Adventures is now offering spaces for their schedule for fully supported dates, and their package includes:
- Evening meal at end destination.
- End to End Certificate once completed.
- Plus much more.
They also offer independent tours; the dates for these are between April and September, again for both routes.
- The first official time recorded for someone to complete the ‘End to End’ was on a penny farthing in 1880 and took 65 days, 16 hours and 7 minutes.
- The record is currently held by Gethin Butler who somehow managed to complete it in 1 day, 20 hours, 4 minutes and 20 seconds back in September 2001.
- Many people choose to take part in this starting at Land’s End as they say if you get lucky, you will end up with tail winds up to Scotland. However, it is personal choice as to which way you decide to take the trip.
- There is also no specific route for the ‘End to End’ route, however many cycle companies have their favourite routes available for anyone.
We would always suggest having the correct insurance in place for any cycling holiday whether in the UK or abroad in case of any unforeseen circumstances that may occur.
At Holidaysafe, we understand that there is more to a cycling holiday than grabbing your bike and going.
Our cycling cover will ensure that you are covered for medical emergencies as standard, plus:
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.
- Race Entry fees if you are unable to participate.
- Cover for lost, damaged or stolen bikes up to £5,000.
- Cover to bring your bike back to you if it is left somewhere due to a medical emergency.