Good Advice for Backpackers and Gap Year Travellers
Some advice for any Backpackers out there!
Stay Safe and Trouble- Free
- Get a good guidebook and plan your journey
- Ask friends who have travelled for advice
- You’ll be most vulnerable when you first arrive, so book accommodation in advance for your first night away
- If you go out at night, make sure you know how to get back to your accommodation, many hotels and hostels can give you cards that show you how to get back
- Obey and respect the local laws – we can’t get you out if prison if you get arrested abroad
- Respect local customs and dress codes – you may cause offence and stand out as a tourist(and be a target) for thieves
- Only change money in banks or legal foreign exchange bureaus – You do not want to be given fake currency, Keep a receipt of all money exchanges
- Be very cautious about hitchhiking, especially at night – always travel in pairs and be aware that drivers may expect payment
- Take a first aid kit, especially if you are travelling to remote area’s
- Send important information to your web-based email account for easy access
Visa’s and Passports
- Make sure you’ve got the correct work permits if you’re planning to work whilst travelling you could face severe penalties or deportation if you work illegally
- Do not overstay your visa – it could lead to a fine or prison. You can extend your visa in most places.
Holidaysafe.co.uk offer specialist backpackers travel insurance and gap year travel insurance from as little as 17 pence per day. To get a quote or to buy travel insurance please click here
Source: Foreign and Commonwealth office. For more information on backpacking holidays have a look at Go.Gapyear.com
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.