Local customs to consider when travelling
Did you know?
- Never pass or accept anything with your left hand when you’re in Indonesia – it is seriously rude.
- When paying for items in Mexico, do not “pay the counter” as this is considered very disrespectful. Instead ensure you place the money in the hand of the person.
- Don’t blow your nose in public in Japan, it is an offence.
- When in Brazil, do not be tempted to circle the thumb and index finger to form the “okay sign” as it is considered vulgar.
- Don’t chew gum, drop litter, spit or fail to flush the toilet in Singapore as it is illegal.
- If you are in Bulgaria, remember that they shake their heads from side to side to indicate yes and move their heads up and down to indicate no.
- When taking items from people in Asia, use both your hands. It is a sign of respect.
- Do not touch someone on the head in Thailand. The head is considered to be very sacred here.
Don’t forget your specialist backpacker or gapyear travel insurance!
If you are taking a trip in the near future, make sure you take out travel insurance before you go. Holidaysafe.co.uk travel insurance offers specialist cover for people travelling on an extended stay which is ideal for students, backpackers and gap year travellers. We offer cover for travel up to 18 months with cover starting from just 17p a day!You can get a quote and instant cover by going online to Holidaysafe
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.