Skiing and snowboarding etiquette
If you are new to the slopes there are a few things that it is useful to know before heading out…
On the slopes
- Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- Be aware of your surroundings! Keep your head on a swivel and know where others are regardless of who has the right of way.
- When passing fast, give wide berth to slower skiers/boarders.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
- On paths, do not take up the entire width by zigzagging. Respect others moving at different speeds than you are.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
- Do not stop or congregate in the lift line to wait for friends or adjust equipment. Wait for friends BEFORE you get into the lift line, not where the chair is loading.
- When it is your turn to load, move forward and get on the chair. Do NOT wait for others or let a chair go by when people are waiting behind you.Also…Always warn others when bringing down the safety bar on the chairlift.
- If skiing alone, move forward to fill up the next available chair if there are people waiting in line behind you.
- If you fall while loading or unloading, your FIRST priority is to move yourself and equipment away from the landing area and allow others to keep moving.
- If you drop something while riding on the chairlift, don’t jump out to get it. You will often be higher than you imagine.
Lastly, don’t forget to buy travel insurance!
With one weeks European cover starting from a very reasonable £14.67 for skiing and snowboarding winter sports travel insurance, can you afford to be without it. To get a quote and to buy travel insurance, please click here.
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.