Festive over-50’s heading to Europe’s Xmas markets
As the silly season kicks off, many people are looking to travel to Christmas markets to buy interesting and unusual gifts for loved ones. Specialist travel insurer Holidaysafe is increasing its cover limits to offer up to £500 per person for Xmas markets shopping trips.
As millions of festive bargain hunters’ jet off to Europe’s Christmas markets, travel insurance specialist Holidaysafe.co.uk is offering consumers extra cover to protect the gifts they have purchased against loss or damage on the way home.
This year has seen a growth in the number of holidays taken by the older generation. According to the recent travel trends report by ABTA the 55-64 year old age group took an average of 3.2 holidays per person compared to 2.7 in 2012.
Around five million people travel annually during the festive period, with around 20% of Holidaysafe’s customers aged over-50 heading to Europe’s top Xmas markets destinations looking for seasonal bargains.
Top destinations include:
- Vienna, Austria
- Cologne, Germany
- Budapest, Hungary
- Nuremberg, Germany
Holidaysafe Brand Manager, Amber Howard said “Europe’s largest Christmas markets always draw millions of travellers every year and people love to look for gifts such as bags, jewellery, food and antiques. We have particularly seen an increase in the over-50’s age group travelling to such destinations. No matter what your age, if you are going to be doing some Christmas shopping while on holiday, you need to ensure you get your gifts home safely and are covered for the money you spent in case the items are lost or damaged.
“Travel policies generally provide cover for personal belongings of between £1500 and £2000. However there will be restrictions on the amount paid for any one item, and also for valuables in total. The average traveller will have clothes and other items totalling these amounts, without taking into account the additional items bought in the markets. So if they were to lose their suitcase on the way home, they might find that their claim exceeds the limit on their policy. We are offering consumers the chance to cover their Christmas shopping up to £500 per person at a flat premium rate of £6.60, with no excess. This gives peace of mind to those shoppers who want to stock up this year on all the bargains.”
If you’re planning a shopping trip abroad, Holidaysafe.co.uk advises the following travel checklist:
- Ask for items to be wrapped carefully when purchased, to make sure they are protected during your journey home.
- Be vigilant with your purse, wallet and bags when walking around crowded areas. Pickpockets and thieves are known to target tourists when they are distracted, so always keep your bag zipped up and secured, and avoid keeping valuables in your back trouser pockets.
- When travelling in Europe, always ensure you have a European Health Insurance Card (or EHIC), which replaced the old E111 form. These are free when ordered directly from the NHS, and will ensure you receive discounted or free medical treatment, should you need it.
- Forget that most markets will only accept cash payments, so you need to make sure you are careful when using cash machines. Try to always withdraw cash from banks, and inside if possible, to avoid cloning machines.
- Pack any valuables in your hold luggage when flying, as they will be at a greater risk of theft or damage. Keep valuables with you at all times.
- Forget to declare any medical conditions to your travel insurer, to make sure you are fully covered.
For more information please contact our press office.
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.