Coronavirus Update: More Of Our Policies Now Include Additional Cover for Coronavirus

Important Information for Customers about Thomas Cook

Following the news that Thomas Cook has gone intoadministration, we here at Holidaysafe would like to clarify what is availableto policyholders:

I have booked with Thomas Cook – whatshould I do to get my money back?

If you have booked a packageholiday (flight and accommodation) through Thomas Cook thenyou will be protected by ATOL (Air Travel Organiser’s Licence). Please check your documents to see if you have an ATOLcertificate

You will be entitled to a full refund of any moneyyou have paid to Thomas Cook. You should contact the CAA (CivilAviation Authority) in order to obtain more information on this. You can getmore advice on how to make an ATOL claimby clicking here orcalling the CAA on 0330303 2800 from the UK or +44 1753 330 330 from overseas. 

The CAA has made arrangements to ensure everyone can continue their holiday,and return on (very close to) their planned return date. For more information on how the CAA can help you, click here or call on 0330303 2800 from the UK or +44 1753 330 330 from overseas. 

What if I have only purchased flightswith Thomas Cook?

If you booked your flights directly with ThomasCook then you may have protection under the ATOL scheme. Please check yourdocuments to see if you have an ATOL certificate.

If you do have acertificate, then the CAA will provide refunds orassistance as described above.

What if I bought my Thomas Cookflights through someone else?

If any bought your flightsfrom another tour operator, travel agent or flight agency, as part of a package arrangement you may also have some protection under either ATOL or the Package Travel Regulations. You should check you documents carefully to see what protection youmight have, and you should contact your provider accordingly.

What happens if my holidayarrangements did not form part of a package?

If you have purchased yourflight and accommodation arrangements separately, you will not be covered byeither the ATOL or PackageTravel Regulations, but that doesn’t mean thatthere aren’t any other steps you can take, pleaseread on.

So how can I get my money back?

Under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act of 1974, ifyou purchase anything on your credit card between £100-£30,000, (including yourpackage holiday) you are protected.

Even if you paid only a small deposit for your tripand the rest of the payment was through other means, you will still beprotected under section 75.

Section 75 allows you to claim compensation fromyour credit card provider when companies you have purchased services from gobust, including tour operators and travel agents.

So, you should contact your credit card companydirectly if you bought your tickets using your credit card.

What should I do if I paid by debitcard?

If you have paid on a credit card ordebit card and the booking cost less than £100, try chargeback. The chargeback scheme isn’t a legalrequirement, it is just a customer service promise, but it is worth trying. Formore information, click here.

I have travel insurance, can I claim?

Travel insurance policies, generally,do not provide cover if you are unable to go on your trip, or if you have tocut your trip short, due to the financial failure of any tour operator, travelagent, transport or accommodation provider.

This cover is usually provided undersections called Scheduled Airline Failure orEnd Supplier Failure, and may be included in your policy, or availableas an optional extra for which you must pay an additional premium. Youshould check your policy documents carefully to see if you have this cover.(Holidaysafe customers should read the section below)

If your policy doesnot specifically mention these sections then it is unlikely that you will beable to claim under your travel insurance policy.

If your policy does mention thesesections, then you must be aware of the following:

I have a Holidaysafe policy

If you have purchased one of the followingHolidaysafe policies, you will have cover for ‘EndSupplier Failure’ which is provided by InternationalPassenger Protection (IPP) included as standard on your policy. If you havetried all the other options outlined above and have been unsuccessful in yourclaim, please contact IPP. Information on how to do this can be found here

Holidaysafe Premier Single Trip or Multi Trip

Holidaysafe Premier Plus Single Trip or Multi Trip

Holidaysafe Platinum Single Trip or Multi Trip

Holidaysafe Family Single Trip or Multi Trip

Holidaysafe Backpacker Longstay Plus

Holidaysafe Backpacker Longstay Platinum

Holidaysafe Premier Winter Single Trip or MultiTrip

Holidaysafe Premier Motorcycle Single Trip or MultiTrip

I have a Holidaysafe policy, but itdoesn’t have the End Suppler Failure section.

We are sorry that you cannot make a claim on your policy,however we can try to help you as follows:

If you have been offered alternativetravel dates, or travel arrangements, we are happy for you to change the dates of coverat no additional premium unless there is a change in duration or coverrequested. Therefore, if you are now looking to travel to a different country,or for a longer duration, you will have to pay an additional premium.

If you have not been able tore-arrange your trip and can no longer travel:

If you purchased a singletrip policy, we are happy to provide you with a full refund ofyour premium, provided you have not made, or intend to make a claim.

If you purchased a multi-trippolicy, we may refund your premium, provided you have notalready travelled on the policy, do not have any further trips planned, and youhave not made, or intend to make a claim on the policy.

*Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices. This code entitles you to an additional 5% off your policy, and is a discount from the base price, not including the additional cost of optional extensions or any additional medical premium.