Slide background Image layer

Gap Year Travel Insurance

Image layer Trips up to 18 months can be covered Image layer Automatically save 15% when you purchase online Image layer Cover for working and volunteering abroad as standard* Get a Quote Retrieve a Quote

Gap Year Travel Insurance

Gap years provide so much more than a break from education; they offer a chance to improve your CV, test your chosen career path, gain life experience, learn new skills and do something amazing like volunteering. To ensure you and your trip are protected against any unexpected holiday disasters, such as medical emergencies or lost possessions, it is important to invest in quality Gap Year travel insurance.

Types of gap year insurance cover

Holidaysafe offer three levels of cover which are perfect for gap year travellers and students, which all allow you to travel for up to 18 months (depending on your age and destination of choice). Our backpacker and longstay range covers a great variety of activities, medical expenses and working abroad.

Gap Year Travel Insurance Benefits

Holidaysafe’s backpacker and Longstay travel insurance policies are perfect for student and gap year travellers. The benefits of a Holidaysafe travel insurance policy include:

  • Cover for trips up to 18 months in duration, in Europe or Worldwide. (Plus you can extend your policy whilst away, as long as your total trip does not exceed 18 months in total)
  • Cover included for lost, stolen or damaged gadgets including tablet computers and smartphones.
  • Cover for over 100 activities free of charge
  • Your policy will include two return trips home (up to 21 days each) without breaking your cover, so you can return home for Christmas, Birthdays, or whenever you fancy a visit
  • Cover for studying, volunteering and working abroad* included as standard
  • Cover includes: cancellation, medical expenses, repatriation, personal injury, legal expenses, personal belongings and personal accident
  • Discounts available for couples and families
  • To find out more benefits of our travel insurance, read our dedicated travel insurance benefits page

Holidaysafe has been rated 4.6 out of 5 based on over 16,500 customer reviews on Trustpilot.


Get a Quote

Why Holidaysafe?
  • Featured in the Which? Best Rate tables since 2010 ᶤ
  • Award-Winning Travel Insuranceɸ
  • Save 15% Online!Ɨ
  • FREE and SECURE Customer Area
  • Discounts on Couples & Family Policies
  • 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance
  • And Much More

Award Winning Travel Insurance

  • Featured in the Which? Best Rate tables since 2010 ⱽ
  • Finalists - 'Best Travel Insurance Provider' in the 2022 Insurance Choice Awards
  • More Info

Gap Year Travel Insurance FAQs

Which policy should I choose?

Unfortunately, we can’t tell you which policy is right for you; it totally depends on your individual trip plans and requirements. However, key things to look at include the amount of cancellation cover (make sure that it is enough to cover the pre-paid costs of your trip just in case you can’t go), personal possessions cover (again is it enough for the things you are bringing? Do you need to add cover for gadgets such as mobiles and tablet computers?) and medical cover (as a rule of thumb you should have at least £5million if travelling worldwide).

For more information on the cover that our policies offer, please click here.

Which sporting activities are not covered as standard?

Please click here for a full list of the activities we cover under our Backpacker and Longstay range. If you don’t see your chosen activity, simply contact our customer service team to see if we can provide cover.

Can I work abroad on my gap year?

Yes, we cover working abroad as standard, as long as you aren’t doing any manual labour, which we define as work involving the lifting or carrying of heavy items in excess of 25Kg, work at a higher level than two storeys or any form of work underground.

Are there countries I should avoid on my gap year?

We wouldn’t advise travelling to anywhere deemed unsafe by the FCDO – visit our dedicated FCDO Travel Aware page to check the status of your destination.

What if I return home and then leave again within the 18 months of my policy?

The cover under your travel policy allows you to make 2 return trips to your home country during the policy period.

You must be aware of the following conditions that will apply should you choose to use this option:

  • You are only allowed 2 return trips during the policy period
  • Each trip can only be for a maximum of 21 days
  • If your trip home exceeds 21 days your policy will terminate immediately and you will need to purchase a new policy should you wish to travel again
  • When using the return home cover, all cover is suspended on clearance of customs in your home country and restarts after the baggage check-in at your international departure point to your overseas destination.

Please note, you cannot claim for any travel and/or accommodation expenses under this cover.

All cover ceases if you have made a claim or intend to claim under the ‘Cutting Short Your Trip’ Section of the policy.

View all FAQs

**Excludes manual labour, which is defined as work involving the lifting or carrying of heavy items in excess of 25Kg, work at a higher level than two storeys or any form of work underground.

The Which? Best Rate feature applies to Holidaysafe’s Premier cover, based on a 24-day Single Trip policy with Worldwide excluding Mexico cover. The table was last updated on Which?’s website on 30/06/2023.

Please note, Holidaysafe’s online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.

Save 15% when buying online*