Winter Sports Travel Insurance
Are you thinking about trying your hand at something different this year? Winter sports travel insurance might not be something you’ve considered before, but if you’re hitting the slopes it’s a must-have. With policies which have been specifically designed by winter sports enthusiasts, you can rely on our cover.
Do I need Winter Sports Travel Insurance?
Winter sports aren’t just skiing and snowboarding – in fact, there are a wide array of activities perfect for any snow-enthusiast.
All winter sports do come with an element of risk; therefore, a regular policy simply isn’t enough to keep you fully-protected. Instead, you need insurance specific to winter sports.
Having cover designed by winter sports enthusiasts will help you feel braver on the slopes, knowing that you’re safer.
What Does Our Winter Sports Travel Insurance Include?
- Single and Multi Trip policies – with differing levels of cover to suit your needs
- Cover for UK, European and Worldwide trips
- Cover for damaged, lost or delayed equipment (both your own and those which you’ve hired)
- Cover for skiing (and many other winter activities) when both on and off-piste (in resort)
- The ability to ski whenever you like during the 12-month cover period (so long as each individual trip doesn’t last longer than 31 days)
- Discounts for couples
- Children under 18 are covered free of charge under our family policy
- An excess waiver if you’d prefer not to have one
Holidaysafe’s dedicated insurance policy is guaranteed to tick every box when it comes to your winter sports need. Get cover for a variety of different scenarios, and enjoy your next holiday in colder climates without any worry hanging over your head.
Holidaysafe has been rated 9.1 out of 10 based on over 8,000 customer reviews on Trustpilot.
Get a Quote
Winter Sport Safety Tips
While Holidaysafe’s winter sports insurance will cover you, it doesn’t mean you should throw caution to the wind. There are a number of easy ways to make your chances of having an accident, or getting injured, much slimmer.
- Learn to fall properly – It sounds an odd one, but knowing how to fall is actually one of the most important safety tips when it comes to skiing, snowboarding or any other kind of winter sport. While your natural reaction will be to try and stay on your feet, this can actually lead to damaging your ankles or legs.
- Use a helmet – Perhaps less surprisingly, it’s highly encouraged you wear a helmet every time you hit the slopes. When you’re travelling helmetless at rapid speeds, there’s a good chance you’ll do damage to your brain if you crash and your head makes contact with the ground.
- Follow the rules – When it comes to personal safety, it’s important you put your renegade streak to one side. Rules are made on the slopes for a reason. Safety is the name of the game when these are created. Every step taken is to ensure the greatest levels of personal well-being possible. As such, any laws you see need to be followed at all times.
- Tell a friend – Whatever route you’re headed for, make sure to let someone know where you’re going. You can leave a note to say where you’ll be if you don’t see anybody prior to heading out to the slopes.
These are some of the most important safety tips for anyone skiing or snowboarding. If you follow them, you’ll find your chances of picking up a serious injury are considerably reduced. That said, having the safety blanket of winter sports insurance cannot be overlooked.
What are the Benefits of our Winter Sports Travel Insurance?
Even if you’re the most cautious skier in the world, accidents still happen. There are loads of reasons why it’s good to get yourself insured. Just some of the major benefits include:
- Equipment & ski pass loss – If you misplace any of your skiing equipment or your ski pass, you’ll need to fork out a lot of cash to cover damages. That won’t be the case if you already have our winter sports insurance package in place.
- Equipment hire – If your luggage doesn’t arrive on time (or goes missing in general) your insurance will pay for you to hire new equipment when you arrive at your resort. This will save you a massive headache at a time when you’re likely to already be stressed.
- Off-piste skiing within the resort boundaries – Not everyone will restrict themselves to the slopes of the piste. For those confident enough to tackle conditions away from it, our insurance will also take this into account.
- Medical costs – Arguably the most important reason for cover, your medical costs will be taken care of if you’re insured. With bills reaching the thousands in some countries for hospital care, this is a crucial element of cover.
What sports are covered by winter sports travel insurance?
At Holidaysafe, we pride ourselves on offering cover for a wide range of winter sports. Some of these activities include:
- Skiing (on and off-piste)
- Husky Dog Sledding
- Ice Hockey
- Ice diving
- Ice Skating
- Sleigh riding
- Snow Mobile/Ski Doos
- Snow Parascending
- Snow Tubing
For more information on winter sports we can cover, click here.
As you’ve probably realised, it pays to take out cover when tackling icy and snowy conditions. Rather than running the risk of paying for medical expenses or lost equipment, rely on winter sports travel insurance from Holidaysafe to take care of the headache for you.
Get a Quote
Up to £5,000* Cancellation cover
This section of cover begins from the second your pay your premium when buying a Single Trip policy, and from the start date you choose when purchasing a Multi Trip policy. Cancellation cover can step in to cover pre-paid costs, for things like accommodation, transport and car hire, that you cannot recover from any other source (e.g. your tour operator) in the event that you cannot go on your trip. The section will cover cancellation for a number of reasons, but it is important that you read your policy wording for full details. *(Under our Premier Winter Sports policies)
Up to £10,000,000* Medical Cover
Injury or illness are inconvenient at the best of times, but imagine needing emergency medical attention abroad – you may not be able to communicate with doctors, and will most likely have to pay for your treatment. This is where our medical expenses section can help you, as we will consider medical bills up to £10,000,000 on many policies, including the cost of getting you back to the UK if medically necessary. Furthermore, every Holidaysafe policy comes with access to our doctor managed emergency medical helpline, which is available to help you 24 hours a day, every day of the year. *(Under pour Express, Standard and Premier policies)
View All Cover Levels
Up to £2,000* Personal Possessions Cover
Some of the most common and annoying holiday disasters involve personal possessions, such as lost, stolen, damaged or delayed baggage. These policy sections can step in to cover the costs of these disasters, but you must check the cover to ensure the policy limits are enough to cover the items you are taking abroad. If you need cover for gadgets, make sure this is covered as standard on your chosen policy, otherwise you can add the cover as an extension on the options page of the quote process. *(Under our Premier policy)
All Holidaysafe Travel Insurance policies are able to include cover for hundreds of medical conditions, and declaring them online is quick and simple thanks to the specialist Protectif medical risk rating service. Some of the most common ones include:
- High blood pressure / hypertension
- High cholesterol
- Underactive thyroid / hypothyroidism
- Diabetes (both type 1 and type 2)
- Food allergies and intolerance
- Heart conditions
- and many more…
Activity Packs & Extensions
If you wish to partake in any activities whilst on your trip abroad, you need to ensure you have the correct level of cover. To do this, simply click our ‘view activity packs’ button below, and find your chosen activity. If it falls into packs 4-8, you will need to add the relevant activity pack to your policy on the options page of the quote process. All activities in packs 1-3 are covered as standard. Please note, you will not be covered unless the appropriate activity pack has been applied to your policy and you have paid the appropriate premium. View activity Packs
We offer a range of extensions on our Single Trip policies, including;
- Financial Failure & Force Majeure
To add any of these extensions to your policy, simply select them on the options page of the quote process.
Holidaysafe Insurance has been rated 9.1 / 10 based on Over 10,000 customer reviews
"I tried a freestyle snowboarding trick that didn't didn’t go too well, and the end result was me in hospital. Thanks to a great insurance company (Holidaysafe, of course!) it was sorted out with no trouble and I made a full recovery."
Mr Olley, Buckinghamshire
Read More Reviews
"I would score Holidaysafe insurance 5 out of 5. I have used them for a few years now, both for annual insurance and winter sports insurance, and their staff are friendly, personel and very very helpful with both renewals and claims . I recommend them to all my family and friends."
Mr Perkins, Surbiton
- Award Winning Travel Insurance
- Save 15% Online!
- FREE and secure Customer Area
- 14 Day Cooling Off Period
- Discounts on Couples & Family Policies
- Optional Product Extensions & Enhancements
- 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance
- Kent-based Customer Service Team
And Much More
Award Winning Travel Insurance
- Your Money 'Best Online Travel Insurance Provider' 2018
- Featured in the Which? Best Rate Tables since 2010
- The British Travel Awards' Bronze Place in the 'Best Travel Insurance Provider' category 2017
- Moneywise 'Most Trusted Travel Insurance Provider' 2016
- Moneyfacts ‘Travel Insurance Provider of the Year' 2014 & 2016
Our existing customers have used this policy for;
Get a Quote
- Ski and Snowboarding Holidays
- On and Off Piste in Resort Adventures
- Extreme Winter Sports Trips
Our Winter Single Trip range is perfect for anyone planning a winter sports holiday. We offer a range of cover all including owned or hired equipment, and activities such as skiing and snowboarding off piste in resort covered as standard. We offer several levels of cover, so you can choose a policy to suit your trip and budget. Please take a look at the options below, or compare our cover here. Express Our Express policy is designed for people who do not require cancellation cover, maybe because they are taking a last minute trip, or because they are lucky enough to own a holiday home abroad. We still include all the essential levels of cover needed when travelling abroad. Standard Our Standard policy offers a good level of winter sports cover for extremely competitive prices; it is suitable for anyone who wants a basic level of protection for a great price. We offer all the usual cover benefits, but with lower sums insured, perfect for anyone travelling on a budget, or on a package holiday. Premier Our Premier policy provides our highest level of winter cover, offering higher sums insured and added benefits for travellers who want peace of mind whilst abroad. Premier offers; emergency physiotherapy treatment cover, dental treatment and physiotherapy in the UK following an accident on the slopes, and cover if you cannot return home.
Do you cover skiing and snowboarding both on and off piste in resort and what is the definition of Off Piste? If you purchase one of our Winter policies we cover skiing and snowboarding both on and off piste in resort as standard, if you purchase a different policy (e.g. a Single Trip policy) you can purchase an activity extension pack at the checkout which will cover you for this activity. Please contact our customer service department should you have any queries. We define Off Piste as; ‘on an unprepared, trackless area away from regular ski runs’. Please take the utmost care if you decide to give this sport a go. You should be aware of any threats to your safety and those around you. Also, in some countries it is illegal to go out of bounds and you may find yourself helping the local police with their enquiries. Is mountain rescue included in my cover? Yes, any mountain rescue costs which were deemed medically necessary would be covered by all of our policies under the Medical Emergency section of the wording. Which winter sports are covered as standard under the winter policies? Winter sports such as skiing, snowboarding and Ice Skating are included as standard. For a more detailed list please visit our Winter Sports activities list, everything listed in activity packs 1,2 and 3 are included as standard. View All
Avid skier or just always wanted to have a go? Snow is already falling in many resorts in Europe which means your skiing holiday can begin even earlier. So, grab your salopettes, jackets and your goggles and have a look at our top five destinations.
Following the driest December in the Haute-Savoie region of France for 135 years, last week it was reported that over 50 ski resorts may be forced to turn off their snow cannons following new fears of a severe drought.
Since 2011, France has consistently been the most popular destination in the world for winter sports travellers. However, due to a lack of snow across Europe during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons, France has been toppled by its old rival – the USA.
The Winter Olympics are coming around very quickly, and with the snow falling hard and fast in the UK, it feels closer than ever.
The definition of Après Ski is: ‘social activity after a day’s skiing’. Countless skiers and snowboarders will be heading out to the slopes over the next few months. The majority will have been waiting patiently all year for the snow to start falling, but some will have been looking forward to the season for a […]
Everyone knows about the most famous skiing destinations, (Val d’lsere, Hinterux, Verbier just to name a few), but what about the more unusual places to ski? We have compiled our favourite destinations that you wouldn’t necessarily think of for your winter sports holiday.
Travel Tips & Advice
Going away for Christmas? We are very jealous! If you’re struggling to think of presents that will fit in your luggage, we’ve listed our favourite 2017 ideas below for you (you can thank us later!).
Après Ski, which means ‘after skiing’ in French, refers to the range of activities and entertainment offered by winter sports resorts, to help you relax after a day on the slopes. The events will differ depending on your chosen resort, but below we’ve listed the top 10 most common and popular après ski activities. Après […]
If you’re planning a ski holiday later in the season (i.e. March-May,) you must book your resort carefully, to avoid being disappointed by a distinct lack of snow. The key things to consider are; altitude, northerly latitude and reputation for snow (both real and manmade). To help get your research started, we’ve listed our top […]
*Pricing based on a 35-year-old travelling to Europe for three days Please note, Holidaysafe’s online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.