Egypt travel advice

What has the Foreign Office said?
The FCDO has advised against all but essential travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez. Crucially, this advice does not extend to resorts in the Red Sea (such as Sharm el-Sheikh and Hurghada, where the vast majority of British holidaymakers are based) because they are “a very considerable distance from the affected areas and these resorts remain unaffected”.

What should I do if I am already in Eygpt?
Any tourists in Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor or Suez should liaise with their tour operator or airline regarding their holiday arrangements – many are arranging emergency flights home for customers

What should I do if I am due to travel to Egypt?
Contact your tour operator, airline or travel agent and find out what options are available. These will vary depending on who you have booked with and the type of travel you booked. Customers of ABTA-member travel firms who have booked package holidays to the affected areas of Egypt but have not yet travelled will be entitled to receive suitable alternative arrangements, rebook for a later date or, where these options aren’t available, a full refund.

The FCDO suggests travel insurance policyholders confirm their reservations with their tour operator before departing, as some flights have been subject to delays or cancellation in recent days.

ABTA says customers whose travel arrangements aren’t a package holiday should refer to the terms and conditions of the services they have bought to determine their rights.

I am due to fly to a Red Sea resort. Should I still go?
Tour operators and airlines are operating as normal to these destinations. However, day trips and overnight excursions from these resorts to places such as Luxor and Cairo have been suspended until further notice.

Can I cancel my holiday and get my money back?
It depends where you are going. If you are booked to go to an area affected by the unrest airlines and tour operators are allowing bookings to be altered or cancelled. But if you have a holiday or flight to an unaffected area you won’t be entitled to your money back unless the FCDO announces it is unsafe to travel.

What will my travel insurance cover?
Travel insurance may be invalid for some travel in Egypt due to the current government advice. Check with your insurer before travelling to make sure your policy is still in force. Where alternative arrangements are made, travel insurance can usually be transferred to cover a new destination.

Cancellation costs in general may not be covered by insurance policies due to the nature of the troubles – it is standard practice that civil unrest is not covered under most policies – so speak to your insurer before making a decision.

*Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices. This code entitles you to an additional 5% off your policy, and is a discount from the base price, not including the additional cost of optional extensions or any additional medical premium.