Staying Healthy Abroad
To make sure you stay healthy and well during your holidays, you must be prepared. Here are our top tips for avoiding a holiday disaster, and staying healthy abroad;
- First aid kits – always carry a decent first aid kit when you go abroad, this should include an antiseptic agent (e.g. wipes or cream), plasters, rehydration sachets, and painkillers.
- Vaccinations – depending on where you are travelling, check that you don’t need any vaccinations or booster jabs before you travel. If you are travelling outside of Europe it is always advisable to check with your doctor. Make sure you do this well in advance of your departure, as some vaccinations take weeks to fully take effect.
- Travel insurance – always make sure you have quality travel insurance before you depart. Make sure it covers you for any activities you might participate in and pre-existing medical conditions.
- Water – just to be safe, only drink bottled water abroad, and avoid ice in your drinks. Contaminated water can cause severe stomach upsets including vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Sun – always wear sun protection, wear a hat and sunglasses, keep covered up, drink plenty of water, and take regular breaks in the shade.
- Prescriptions – make sure you have enough of your prescription medication to last the entire trip. Just to be safe, photocopy your prescriptions and bring them with you. Always check how much of your medication you are allowed to bring into the country, and whether you’re allowed to bring your medication in at all.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis – keep active during long journeys; check out our DVT Guide for more information.
- Alcohol – always be extremely careful when drinking alcohol abroad, as the measures are usually larger and the spirits are stronger.
- Glasses – bring an extra pair of glasses and your prescription just in case.
- Sex – always pack a good supply of condoms, if there is a chance you could have sex abroad. Always use a condom to prevent pregnancy and STIs, remember that every country has different rules about sex or indecent behaviour in public, you could face arrest or a hefty fine.