How to Plan the Ultimate Romantic City Break
Sometimes we all need a break to disconnect with the stresses and strains of everyday life, and reconnect with the ones we love. Whether that means a quick weekend away or a full on holiday, we’ve packed this page full of tips and advice to plan the ultimate romantic city break.
Choosing a romantic destination
The destination you choose should reflect the type of trip you want to have. For example, do you want to take your partner on numerous sightseeing tours? Or would you as a couple prefer a taste of luxury with lots of shopping and fine dining? Whether you’re looking for a foodie paradise or a destination packed to the brim with historical sites, Europe is full of destinations just waiting to be explored.
Some of our favourites include;
- Paris – known as the most romantic city in the world, Paris is the perfect place to wander hand in hand with the one you love.
- Venice – take a gondola ride together to get the tip off to a romantic start, and then explore the canals, tiny streets and beautiful architecture.
- Rome – if you and your partner love history and delicious Italian food, then Rome is the place for you.
- Athens – another perfect destination for lovers of ancient history, soak up the sunshine and visit beautiful ruins.
- Cannes – time your trip with the annual film festival for a true taste of celebrity luxury.
- Reykjavik – spend your days relaxing in the Blue Lagoon, and your nights searching for the Northern Lights.
- Lisbon – if you love art (both ancient and modern) and sunshine, then Lisbon is the next city break for you.
- Barcelona – if you’re looking for a bit of everything – beach, sightseeing, fashion, food and nightlife, then Barcelona is the place for you.
- Vienna – a captivating mix of historic and modern, Vienna has a whole host of grand architecture to see and a rich musical history.
- Berlin – with over 170 museums outlining its fascinating history, plus a whole host of amazing shops and restaurants, Berlin is a must visit destination.
Booking your romantic city break away
So you’ve chosen your destination, now you need to do some serious research before booking your trip. Firstly, you will need to find out some seasonality information, so you don’t end up travelling during the wettest and gloomiest time of year. Start researching the costs of flights (both independently and part of package deals) so you get a good idea of budget.
Hotels and accommodation
Next, think about accommodation – do you want to treat yourselves and stay in a luxury hotel, or are you perfectly happy booking a cheap room? Also, do you want to be right in the middle of the city for sightseeing, or would you prefer to be further out to get some peace and quiet in the evenings? What are the transport links like? Ask yourselves these questions and then start looking for places which meet your criteria and budget.
Holiday guides and travel resources
It is always advisable to do some final research on traveller reviews before booking – did other travellers enjoy staying at the hotel or were there any issues with their package holiday? Double check before you book just to ensure the hotel isn’t really too good to be true.
Our Tips and Advice section as well as our blog have a lot of great ideas for travelling as a couple.
What to Pack
Once you’ve decided when and where you’re going to go, you can start thinking about packing. Less is always more when it comes to a city break, so try to pack comfortable shoes and clothes for your day time excursions, and some smart outfits for your evenings – even if you aren’t planning going anywhere special, it’s always nice to dress up with your partner.
The final thing to pack is quality couple’s travel insurance, to protect you, your partner and your trip against any unexpected holiday disasters. Visit Holidaysafe.co.uk for more information on award winning city break travel insurance.
10 of the most romantic holiday destinations for couples – https://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/single-multi-trip-travel-advice/10-romantic-holiday-destinations-couples/
How to plan a last minute city break – https://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/single-multi-trip-travel-advice/plan-last-minute-city-break/
5 of the most romantic destinations to propose – https://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/single-multi-trip-travel-advice/five-romantic-destinations-propose/
Please note, Holidaysafe's online prices automatically include a 15% discount against our Customer Service Centre prices.