save 15% online View Policy
Tel no

Award Winning Travel Insurance Trust in

Get a backpacker travel insurance quote
Compare backpacker travel insurance cover
Policy wordings
Backpacking activity list

Backpacker Travel Insurance

Our Backpacker travel insurance policies are ideal for students, backpackers, gap year travellers and anyone up to 75 years, taking an extended trip abroad. The range includes three levels of cover, so you can choose the policy to suit your trip and budget.

Our Longstay and Backpacker range include the following benefits;

  • Trips up to 24 months are covered(depending on your age and destination of choice).
  • Europe, Australasia and Worldwide cover options available.
  • Cover for lost, stolen or damaged gadgets including laptops, iPods, cameras, etc. available .
  • Two return trips home allowed up to a maximum duration of 21 days per trip.*
  • Working holidays covered.
  • Automatically covers a selection of sports and activities free of charge, with further extensions available for most other activities. For a full list of our activities covered click here.
  • Doctor managed emergency assistance helpline 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
  • 14 day cooling off period.
  • Cover for emergency medical expenses including repatriation, personal liability, legal expenses and personal accident. Compare all our cover options.
  • Discounts given for couples and families.
  • Buying your cover online gets you a 15% discount against our UK customer service centre prices.
  • Emergency helpline open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
  • Cover for mugging, hijack and catastrophe under our plus policies.

Thinking of staying away longer? If you need to extend your insurance whilst away you can, but your entire trip can only be a maximum of 24 months. Simply call our friendly Customer Services Team and they will be happy to process this for you.

If you haven't booked your return ticket home yet, we can still cover you as long as you show intent (e.g. a place on a university course, etc.) to return to the UK. If you're unsure, please contact our Customer Services Team.

*When using the return home extension all cover is suspended on clearance of customs in your home country and restarts after the baggage check in at your international departure point for your return flight, international train or ferry to your overseas destination.This extension will not cover the costs of your return home.

star star star star star
Holidaysafe has been rated 5 / 5 based on 91 customer reviews
Get a backpacker and gap year travel inssurance quote
Share this page:

  • Backpacker and Longstay information
  • Frequently asked questions

Backpacker and Longstay travel insurance

With our extensive range of cover available, there is no need to travel uninsured as you are sure to find a level of cover for a competitive price to suit your needs.

We offer specialist low cost travel insurances for extended stay trips from 1 to 24 months, offering you peace of mind whilst you are on your travel's.

Backpacker and Longstay cover is ideal if you are:

  • A backpacker
  • A student taking a gap year trip
  • Studying abroad
  • Taking a sabbatical
  • On a career break
  • A charity or volunteer worker
  • Taking a working holiday

Our Backpacker policies cover anyone up to 75 years with a range of cover from the basic but essential levels of insurance to a more enhanced level of cover.

Our policies are suitable for people studying and/or working abroad - subject to the work not being manual labour which is above two stories high or work below ground.

You can to compare our longstay and backpacker cover options here

Frequently asked questions

Below is a summary of our most asked questions, If your question has not been answered here try our dedicated frequently asked questions page.

When does cover start on a Backpacker or Longstay policy?
As soon as you purchase one of our policies, the Cancellation section starts. All other covers begin from the moment you leave your home for your holiday until you return home again.

What is Medicare and how do I apply for it?
Medicare works similarly to the EHIC in Europe, you receive a card and this gets you discounted private, and free public, health care and medicines in Australian hospitals – hence why it is so important that you have it. Just like the EHIC, we do insist that you invest in Medicare before you travel to Australia. You can get a Medicare enrolment form online, you will need your passport and a valid visa.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?
Any medical condition, serious or recurring, which has previously been diagnosed, investigated or treated in anyway, at any time prior to travel, even if this condition is currently considered to be stable and under control by the use of drugs.

What do I do if I have a pre-existing medical condition?
All travel insurance companies require the policyholder to disclose any accurate and relevant information which may influence them in their decision to accept or decline a risk. To be covered you must be healthy, fit to travel and to undertake Your planned trip. For the purposes of this insurance a Pre-existing Medical Condition is considered to be any serious or recurring medical condition which has been previously diagnosed, investigated or treated in any way, at any time prior to travel, even if this condition is currently considered to be stable and under control.

You can declare your Medical Conditions by contacting our medical screening helpline, on 0203 829 6765. Please refer to the policy wording for the criteria regarding pre-existing medical conditions.

Is there an age limit on this policy?
The Backpacker policy is available to those of you up to 40 years old. However, our Longstay policy would suit anyone aged up to 75 years old.

Do you provide Winter Sports Insurance?
Winter sports cover (under activity pack 1) is an optional add-on to policies and must be selected at the time of purchase by selecting the relevant activity pack on the options page.

Do the sums inured benefit the whole group or each person?
The Underwriters will pay up to the sum insured listed for each insured person

How do I get medical assistance when I am away?
Please contact our Emergency Assistance Facilities 24 hour Emergency advice line on +44 (0) 203 829 6745. You will need to have your policy details and policy number to hand to verify your cover

I am travelling out of the UK on a one way or open ticket, am I covered?
Yes. However, in the event of a claim you would have to provide written evidence that you intended to return to the UK i.e. work commitments. Please note that this policy is not intended to offer cover if you are emigrating.

How do I make a claim?
You can download the relevant form at or contact Travel Claims Facilities on 0203 829 6761.

Why Holidaysafe? Get a family travel insurance quote Do I have the correct cover?